Wednesday, September 11, 2013

We are Family!

At the beginning of the year I feel that it is imperative to build a strong classroom community and have students learn about each other.  One of my favorite activities is the creation of a class puzzle.  To complete this activity I buy a large piece of poster board and cut it up into however many students there are in my class, and I include a piece for me.  On the first day of school, I give each student a piece of the puzzle.  They are instructed to write their name on it, and then draw or write three things that represent them. 
After each student has spent time decorating their puzzle piece, we sit in a circle and each student shares their puzzle piece with the class.  At the conclusion of the sharing session, I explain that all of the puzzle pieces represent us as individuals; however, throughout this year we are going to grow together as a "family" and that each of us will bring our strengths and talents to the class throughout the year.  We then work together to put all of our pieces together, signifying the start of our strong "family."

Individual Puzzle Pieces

Final Product Representing our Class "Family"

1 comment: