Saturday, September 28, 2013

Building on Each Child’s Strengths: UHMS

This year I ventured outside of my comfort zone and took a new teaching job at the University of Hartford Magnet School. I have always wanted to teach in a diverse school, and when the opportunity came about, I applied and here I am today, teaching at UHMS.

UHMS is truly unlike any other school I have ever been in. Being a magnet school, the main focus of our school is The Multiple Intelligences. Every teacher in the school strives to meet the needs of each individual learner, and tries to build on their strengths. All subject areas are workshop based, and students are constantly up and moving, working in centers, and exploring the world hands-on. When a student doesn’t seem to comprehend something one way, we try teaching it through a different multiple intelligence.

Rather than attending “specials” students go to “essentials”. In these essentials students create beautiful masterpieces in visual spatial, create music unlike anything I’ve ever heard, and get unique experiences that you don’t see in most schools. Every morning, students come to school and participate in the walking program, where they gather in the agora and walk laps while listening to music and talk to friends. Since our school is attached to University of Hartford two days a week college students lead a running team called “Flying Magnets.” Students also have experiences to participate in the Hart School of Music after school programs. The list of opportunities for students goes on and on.

One of my favorite parts of our school is the sense of community we build with families. Every Friday, we have a whole school assembly that is called Friday Family Meeting. We gather and celebrate our learning. Two classrooms sign up to be “Hot Spotlights” and they present a topic they are learning in their classroom and present it using one of the multiple intelligences. The assembly also includes a message from our principal and sing along songs led by one of the music teachers. Families are encouraged to come and celebrate the joy of learning.

Overall, I think making this change was one of the best decisions I have made to date. While I do miss my old school, UHMS has opened my eyes. I finally realize what it means to truly meet the needs of every learner.


 

5 comments:

  1. As I read your latest post, I became intrigued with the whole concept of magnet schools. Of course, this lead to many questions. For example, how do magnet schools differ from public schools? I know that magnet schools offer different learning focuses (i.e. multiple intelligences, music, science), but what are the other differences? Are students and teachers still required to take state tests? Are teachers still a part of the teacher union? And how are students accepted into magnet schools? What excited me most about your post was how evident it was that your school truly celebrates each individual child. I think this is a practice that needs to happen more often, everywhere. Thanks for helping me to learn more about your unique school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fortunate for you to be able to teach in what appears to be a great school. I'm jealous. When I student taught it was in a school that did a similar thing as your Friday Family Meeting. Instead it was once a month that the school got together as a whole, and each class briefly talked about, in any way they chose, what they had learned that month. It was powerful and wonderful. Even the kindergartners shared. Some classes demonstrated their learning through poems, some through art, while other in song. I worked with 3rd grade and had to get them ready to share. It was a great writing activity as well as a confidence boosting one. Teachers got to work on their oral presentations and listening skills while others were presenting. It was done totally by the students. It is just one way to bring a school together and promote the school culture and climate. I was wondering, is a magnet school the same as a charter school?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as Kate and Carla mentioned, I am wishing that I had the opportunity to be part of a school such as yours. I would even like to be able to come and observe in hopes of maybe bringing some of the ideas back to my own school. I especially like the idea of a family day. I'm sure it builds a huge sense of belonging and community to the building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If there were any questions on how to build a stronger school community, it has been answered in your post and video. It is so refreshing to see that students have the chance to showcase their learning on Friday for all to see. I also really liked the idea of their participation in the walking program. What a great way to start off everyday! This is such a great opportunity for you and I would also love to bring back some of the ideas to my classroom/school. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i went to this school and graduated june 20 of this year. i am now a 6th grader at capital prep. whenever i look back on my full pre k to 5th grade experience there at uhms, i feel happy and remember how great it was. i highly recommend this school to adults with children that are just about to go into pre k.

    ReplyDelete