Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Use of Social Media in Education

Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and the list goes on and on. Social Media and the classroom are not two things that I ever thought would go together; however, my thinking has drastically changed in recent times.

As a result of this course I have created an education twitter account. Since I do not have permission to post pictures of my students, I use the account to make general updates about my classroom and post different information about units of study we are working on and daily happenings.
As time goes on, I plan to get more involved, and post more frequently allowing parents and other teachers to truly follow my classroom.

Even though I enjoy posting, I feel that the true benefit of Twitter comes from the people I follow. I am following teachers, principals, superintendents, authors educational experts, etc… Every minute someone is posting valuable resources, new ideas, articles to read, failures and success stories.

Allowing myself to step outside of my comfort zone has opened up a whole new world of opportunity for me. I get motivation from others and become inspired to try new things in my own classroom. I have learned that when you used appropriately, social media can in fact be a very beneficial teaching tool!


Click on the picture above to check out my twitter account!

2 comments:

  1. Nice work Krista! I love your hard work. I think the same about the endless resources that we can find with one touch on our phone or computer. I never thought of twitter as being a media tool for education. I just thought who cares about what everyone else is doing, but if you are following people that share your interests and goals it is definitely worth it. Your post made me realize how I need to set up an account too. It won't happen tomorrow or next week, but soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My impression of social media has also changed as a result of taking this course. I didn't always make the connection of how social media could play an integral role within the classroom. Yet more and more, my eyes are opening up to the many ways that social media can expand the walls of the classroom and of our students' minds. I am inspired by your Twitter account and, like Rachel, am excited to create an account of my own. As a parent, I could see how exciting it would be to follow my daughter's teacher on Twitter and learn about her day as it happens. I also like what you mentioned about the ways in which following others on Twitter can be motivating. It seems to me that Twitter helps to create a positive network for teachers, allowing them to build off of one another. Thanks for helping me to see its benefits!

    ReplyDelete